- This event has passed.
ONLINE Buddhism & the Twelve Steps Eight Week Class Series
June 13 @ 4:00 pm
In this course we will be exploring the many connections between Buddhist teachings, the Twelve Steps in particular, and recovery in general. You will learn a variety of meditation practices including mindfulness, concentration, loving kindness, and others. As we progress through the Steps we will cover foundational Buddhist teachings like the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, and the Divine Abodes. We will explore the key insights around impermanence, suffering, and not self. We will see how to work with challenges to meditation like the five hindrances.
Each class will include a period of guided meditation and lecture. Breakout groups will explore topics that bring insight to our recovery and our spiritual lives. Classes will be recorded, so if you miss a meeting you can catch up.
Here are some of the topics we will cover:
- How does “powerlessness” relate to meditation?
- What aspects of Buddhism can be applied to the concept of “Higher Power”?
- How can Buddhist practices and teachings help me to let go of so-called “shortcomings” and “character defects”?
- What is a “mindful inventory”?
- What can Buddhism tell us about “spiritual awakening”?
- The unique ways that recovery supports a Buddhist practice. The unique ways that Buddhist practice supports recovery.
This unique approach to recovery will help you deepen your spiritual practice and embrace the broadest understanding of addiction and recovery.
Eight Tuesdays, June 13-August 1 4:00-5:30pm, Pacific Time. Suggested sliding scale: $200-$250.
No one turned away for lack of funds.